Sunday, January 15, 2017

Sunday: 15 January, 2017 ( Status Update)


Dear Preppers and Survivalists,

photograph by
Tech. Sgt. Jeremy M. Call, New York Air National Guard


Food
O.K. One of my goals, for this year, is to add another year supply of rice and beans to my family's long-term food storage.

Now, I'm not going to all of a sudden dump a lot of money to purchase 365 pounds of long grain white rice and 183 pounds of dried beans, since we are marginally O.K. on food for a long-term event.

So, I'm going to buy one case of white rice, every month, and a case of beans, every other month, for the next year. At the end of the year, my family will have 396 pounds of long grain white rice and 198 pounds of dried beans.

Needless to say, I am using the easy method by ordering from the Latter-day Saints' store.

So, ... Late last night, I ordered one case of rice and a case of black beans. Next month, I'll order one case of white rice.

Link:
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Self Reliance: Home Storage
https://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category3_715839595_10557_3074457345616706370_-1_N_image_0


Jews, Latter-day Saints, and Other Groups
The other day, I was reading an article about the alt-right movement and their misdirected hatred of Jews. The writer makes the point that Israel has built a wall, purged its population of 'undesirables,' and enacted other policies, similar to the alt-right platform.

So, ... Why do Neo-Nazis hate Jews, since they are just like them?

It doesn't matter because I want to talk about the Latter-day Saints.

Now, some people feel the same way about the Latter-day Saints (Mormons), even though; the Mormons provide us (you and your family) a shining example of how to be an effective prepper.

Link:
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Self Reliance: Self-Reliance Guides
https://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category3_715839595_10557_3074457345616706400_-1___15

Needless to Say:
"If' you hang out here long enough, I will provide similar information for free.


Rain and Cold
I work outside, year round. In the summer, when it rains, I do without a rain suit. When it's cold; that's another story.

Of course, .... This means, I keep several inexpensive rain suits for work, two in the locker [one for work (back up) and one for emergencies (back up to the back up)], one in the work truck (primary), and one in my car, for my emergencies.

I usually get the 'heavy-duty' model from a big box home improvement store because these have a good price to longevity ratio. In other words, I don't mind, too much, when I rip the crouch out of the rain pants, since we provide our own rain gear.

And, this brings up my next thought.


Surplus Gor-Tex Rain Suit
A few days ago, I provided several links to surplus military Gortex rain gear. This gear is, relatively, inexpensive and rugged, even though; it is manufactured by the lowest bidder ; - )

So, ... It may be a good addition to your preps with some caveats

First, all military gear is manufactured or provided by the lowest bidder.

Second, non U.S. military surplus, especially uniform or clothing items, will be different ; - )

Let me explain. The German military doesn't put an emphasis on upper body strength, like the U.S. military, so the shirts and jackets might be 'tight' in the chests. In other words, you and your family might need a larger sizes for a proper fit.

The foreign military surplus will also be made of different material. The U.S. has been using Gortex for decades, while other countries have only recently (past 10 to 15 years) been using the synthetic materials for gear. This means, the older foreign military surplus items like coat weather coats and jackets will be cotton or a cotton blend, rain jackets will be rubber coated nylon, and ...

Now, don't get me wrong. The foreign military equipment is rugged, long lasting, and economical. It can be a good investment for your family.

With that said, British military clothing is cut to a similar standard, as these United States, so their gear will have a similar fit.

Lastly, camoflauge might be a poor idea, during an event.

Link:
YouTube: thenewsurvivalist - What NOT to Wear When Bugging Out After a Disaster!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvnD7O_9ehM


Employment
We had a meeting at work, the other day. It lasted one and half hours.

In short, a lot of other people and I probably won't have our current positions in one year, however; ...

After the ifs, maybes, possibles, and a lot of other qualifiers, I still might have a job this time next year .

We'll see ; - )

No comments: