Saturday, March 10, 2012

Get Home Gear


Dear Preppers and Survivalists,

Wrote the wrong post date, and I'm changing the subject.

A couple of months ago, I wrote that every prepper should have a BOB, GOOD bag, or 72-hour kit for our vehicles.

Here's mine.

All My Gear
In this picture is the contents of my trunk box. The contents are mainly grouped into three areas, keep warm, fire, and first-aid/safety.






The Box, Blanket, and Toilet Paper
The blue plastic box is about 32 inches long, 16 inches deep, and 12 inches wide. I have two rolls of toilet paper in a zip-lock baggie, a small orange backpack, and a polyester throw.

The toilet paper can be used to wipe my butt, as fire starter, or first-aid dressings. The rudimentary orange backpack can be used to carry stuff, signal device, or ... The polyester throw is for my wife; she uses it to keep warm when I'm driving in the winter. (I like it cool in the car, during the winter)



Staying Warm Without Fire
This next picture shows two inexpensive polyester blankets, a German snorkel parka, and a U.S. Army wet weather jacket.

I like the German parka because it's warm, has a hood, and was inexpensive (under $20) The wet weather jacket, I had left over from my military service.


The two blankets, I found at a couple of garage sales for a few dollars.


Fire Kit
This picture is the fire group of my trunk kit. I have a small 13 oz. former coffee can that holds two 4-candle boxes and a book of matches. A sandwich-size plastic box that holds a plastic baggie with ten books of matches, a hank of 550-cord, a metal signal mirror with a whistle, and a small plastic soap dish with a magnesium fire starter, a butane lighter, and a package of lifeboat matches. Oh yeah, I almost forgot my tube of fire starter.


First-Aid and Safety Gear
The picture, to the left, is the safety gear. I have three warning triangles, a pair of decent jumper cables, two ice scraper, and an umbrella, an empty (never used) fuel can, and a very basic first-aid kit in the red pouch.

I apologize, I failed to mention the safety vest, in the third picture (it's laying on the blanket). I wear the safety vest to make sure folks see me if I have to pull over in the middle of the night.

The black bag in the picture usually holds the warning triangles, the jumper cables, and one of the ice scrapers. The reason I keep that stuff in a separate black bag; I usually only use that stuff.

Needless to say, some folks will tell you that I'm lacking in some way or another, and I am.

There's no water (#1 after shelter) and no food. Plus, I don't have a rain coat or warm coats for my wife and children, no gloves, and no hats, too.

Guess what?

That's one of the great things about telling folks about prepping. I have a chance to check my preps, so I can make modifications to my stuff.


PS.
That green pencil box in the first picture. It held a bunch of change, for pay phones ; - )


Pencil Box used to Hold Change for Pay Phones
Not really. I didn't have any paper money when I was making up the kit, so I throw a bunch of change into the former pencil box.

No comments: