Friday, November 2, 2018

Friday's Thoughts and Other Stuff (Sleep)


Dear Preppers and Survivalists,

Sleeping Child (ca 1893)
drawing by
Rosina Emmet Sherwood


How much?
I have written several blurbs about the medical research on sleeping. This research shows your age will determine how much sleep you and your family need to stay healthy.

For Children

Newborn to 3 months - 14 to 17 hours

4 to 12 months - 12 to 16 hours (including naps)

1 to 2 years old - 11 to 14 hours (including naps)

3 to 5 years old - 10 to 13 hours (including naps)

6 to 13 years old - 9 to 11 hours

14 to 17 years old - 8 to 10 hours

For Adults

18 to 60 years old - 7 or more hours

61 to 64 years old - 7 to 9 hours

65 to ... - 7 to 8 hours


Equipment
For most people, especially exhausted people, a flat comfortable spot, not too hot and not too cold, will be perfect for falling asleep. All they have to do is lay down and let nature take its course.

Of course, you and your family are preppers, so you know things aren't that simple when you're preparing for the tough times ahead.

So, ...

You have warm blankets, so you family may have a restful sleep during a winter storm. Sleeping bags so your family can easily evacuate to a shelter, if needed, during a hurricane.

But, ...

What are you going to do for unexpected guest or even expected guests?


My Situation
I work about 400 miles from home, so I want to be as cheap as possible. Plus, if I have to abandon my 'stuff,' I don't want lose a bunch of money, during an emergency evacuation.

So, ...


The Military Cot
Designed to hold about 250 pounds, the Army cot is inexpensive and plentiful on the surplus market. For you bigger folks, there are specialty cots that will handle a 400 pound person.

Surplus Military Metal and Nylon Cot

The military usually uses these in combination with a sleeping bag and sleeping pad.


Insulation
Most folks don't know about the military sleeping pad. It is a closed or open cell foam pad that provides insulation and smooths out the hard bumps for our Soldiers and Marine when they are in the field.

For your family, insulation will keep your backside from getting cold because the sleeping bag's insulation will compress.

At $15 to $50, they are expensive, especially when the local charity store is selling Queen sized comforters for under $10.

Queen Sized Comforter for Insulation

 I fan-fold the comforter, so I have three layers. Plus, it adds some padding to the cot.


Next, ...
I added a twin sized fitted sheet to cover the padding.

Now, ...

You and your family could use a flat sheet, but they can get bunched up. Causing your guests to have to fix the bed every morning.

Which might not be a bad idea, ... To help keep them busy ; - )

Twin Sized Fitted Sheet to Cover the Padding

Next, I added a flat sheet, blanket and a pillow.

Ready for a Good Night's Sleep

No Worries
I like 100% cotton sheets, so that's what I bought from the local charity stores

And, ...

I wasn't picky about matching colors or shades of color, either.

Plus, ...

I couldn't find a twin flat sheet, so I bought a double sheet and folded it in two for the, almost, perfect fit.

Lastly, ...

I recently purchased a full sized blanket, to layer under the comforter for those cold winter nights.

Link:
Centers for Disase Control -
https://www.cdc.gov/sleep/about_sleep/how_much_sleep.html

No comments: