Saturday, May 12, 2012

Firearms for Preppers, M16/AR15 series Rifle, Part Two


Dear Preppers and Survivalists,

This should really be "Part One." Oh, well.


M16A1 Rifle with 30-round Magazine

The M16 rifle is a lightweight rifle that most people, including children, could easily shoot. It is used by about 70 countries worldwide.

However;

You will probably never see one in your local firearms store because a M16 series rifle is a Class III weapon. These types of weapons require a $200 tax stamp and some federal paper work to purchase.

Now, the firearm you will see at your local firearms dealer is an AR-15, or some variation since AR-15 is a registered trademark of Colt Firearms. Either way, if you ask to see an AR-15, the clerk will hand you something in black and 5.56 mm.

5.56 mm (.223 caliber) is the diameter of the round (see Week Five - Guns) the rifle uses. The military round will work in a civilian rifle. Heck, civilian rifles have the same identical parts as the military rifle, almost.

My Family's Situation
Just like the SKS rifle, we live in suburbia, like most preppers. Since houses are close and ranges are short, the AR-15 series rifle is also a good rifle for the urban and suburban prepper.

Plus, there is a plentiful supply of spare parts and magazines.

Spare Parts
Just like the SKS rifle, you and your family are going to need to stock spare parts for a long-term disaster, if that's what you're preparing for. If not; don't.

Now, I was an armourer in these United States Army, so I have some experience. First, you need an extractor, an extractor spring with an extractor spring insert, and an extractor pin. After that, you'll need a firing pin retaining pin and a firing pin. Add a front sight for 'just in case,' and that should be it.

For those worried about very long-term stuff, you'll need to add an ejector, ejector spring, and ejector roll pin, action spring/buffer spring, and all of the lower receiver springs and pins. Plus, you will need a rear sight assembly, just in case.

Michael J. Sherman
at
stealthboy.com

I wouldn't get an extra bolt carrier or a bolt because I never saw one fail, ever!

But,

It's up to you and your family; what you buy.

Modifications to the AR-15 series Rifle
As you saw from the first part of the M-16 series rifle article, there are many modifications that can be done to this rifle.

The only modification I would recommend would be to install a quality collapsible stock. The mod will allow everyone in your family to comfortably shoot the rifle, until you get one for them.

Tools and Other Necessities
You are going to need magazines, magazines, and more (Are They Crazy??? $53) magazines. I would feel ok with ten (10) magazines per rifle, but, I would be looking to obtain more, just in case, that's how important magazines are. At about 20 to 25 magazines, per rifle, I would feel all warm and fuzzy.

Next, a cleaning kit is required (an example).

After that, you going to need some kind of kit to carry at least three magazines.

Lastly, a front sight tool and a sling to carry the rifle would top-off my preps for this rifle. On the sling, I wouldn't buy anything fancy. I would stay low-speed and buy a new or used U.S. military silent sling (an example). Unless, you and your family have been to an Appleseed class then you might purchase a M-16 DMP Sling (an example) a M-16/A2 sling (an example), or a M-14 sling (an example).


Link:
Wikipedia - M16 Rifle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle

Wikipedia - AR15 Rifle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15

Wikipedia - 5.56 × 45 mm NATO
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.56×45mm_NATO

Noveske Rifle Works - TM 9-1005-319-10
http://noveskerifleworks.com/impdf/ar15manual.pdf

AR-15.com - TM 9-1005-319-23&P
http://www.ar15.com/content/manuals/TM9-1005-319-23.pdf

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buenaѕ!
Tengo que reconocеr que hasta hoy no me gustaba demasiado esteblog,
pero ultiimamente estoy siguiendolo frecuentemente
y me haa empezado a gustar.
Bueen trabajo!

Mas info en juan

AR-15 Shooter said...

Good overview of the AR-15. It is good to have several guns of the same caliber to be able to store the ammo of the same caliber.

Anonymous said...

I am no longer sure where you're getting your info, however great topic.
I needs to spend a while studying more or figuring out more.
Thank you for magnificent info I used to be looking for this info for my mission.

Anonymous said...

Thanks , I have recently been searching for info approximately this subject for a while and yours is the best I've found out so far.
However, what concerning the conclusion? Are you sure concerning the source?

Anonymous said...

I'd like to find out more? I'd like to find out some
additional information.

Anonymous said...

Howdy! This blog post couldn't be written any better!
Going through this article reminds me of my previous roommate!
He constantly kept preaching about this. I most certainly will forward this
article to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read.
Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

entendido e seus alunos escolhem qualquer anais.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for some other wonderful article. Where else could anyone get that
kind of information in such a perfect means of writing?
I have a presentation subsequent week, and I am on the look for such
information.

Anonymous said...

Aw, this was an extremely nice post. Taking a few minutes and actual effort to make a superb article…
but what can I say… I put things off a lot and never manage to get anything done.

Anonymous said...

Incredible points. Outstanding arguments. Keep up the great effort.