Friday, February 18, 2011

Survival Vest


Welcome Preppers and Survivalists,

After I got out of the Army, my folks suggested/wanted me to be a cop. They said it would be a good secure job.

I listened and told them "No way! I just spent part of my life with a target on my chest, and I wasn't going to spend the rest of my life with a 'shoot me' badge on my chest."

So, why am I telling you this?

Because wearing a military-style survival vest might put a target on your chest during a disaster.

Think about it, for a minute.

So what's a prepper to do?

Wear a vest! Just don't buy one that screams "SURVIVALIST"


My wife bought me this lined vest, from Duluth Trading Co., as a present for Christ's Mass. It has two hand warmer pockets on the outside. The pockets have little flaps that will help keep my gloves in my pockets when I'm not wearing them.



Above is a picture of the vest's inside. It has two big pockets (bottom, both sides) with zippers, two pockets (right side, top) with velcro tabs over the pockets, and three pockets (left side, top) two small ones and one large pocket.

Using the 3 to 5 Rules of Living, let's look at what might go in the vest.

Shelter - two to four large contractor garbage bags, 25 feet of 550 cord (large bottom pocket)

Water - two large freezer-style zipper bags (Ziplock bags) and a small water filter (large bottom pocket)

Food - a couple of snack bars, a few peppermints, a couple pieces of gum (top large pocket)

Protection - a folding knife (top right small pocket)

Fire - fire steel/metal match and some tinder (the other top right small pocket)

Needless to say, you will want to buy a vest that will blend in with your work environment because this vest won't work if you work in a big-city high rise office building.

Link:
Duluth rading Co. - Home
http://www.duluthtrading.com/
Note: Do a search for "Vest"

PS.
This is the type of vest I was talking about, from the Cowboy Action Shooting prospective, in Week Fifteen - Kit.